Jun 13, 2016

TPE-W-isforwheat

The Pagan Experience ~ June 13 2016-Week 2
The Letter W

The first thing that came to mind when I thought of "W" that I know enough about to blog on is WHEAT! But where do I begin? I don't want this to be a rant. I will start by saying that I am gluten free. I live an entirely gluten free lifestyle. I do not do this a new trendy diet. My body forced me to become gluten free. Before I found out what I needed to do, and what was going on with my body. I lost 40 lbs do to being so sick. I had no idea what gluten was when my doctor said to drop all grains from my diet. So I just ate scrambled eggs for the first couple of months.

But lets get away from me. Becoming gluten free was not easy. And I also have wrestled with the fact that pretty much all pagan rituals have cake or bread as a part of the ritual. So my practice has taken a dive over the past few years. Now there are a lot more gluten free items available...

Yes, I suppose I could have substituted something else in the place of the cakes and breads. But I didn't feel right with that. For me, the point of being pagan is a connection to the olde ways, ancient times.

I've learned a lot about wheat over the past 4 years. Did you know that is other countries disorders and diseases are significantly lower than in the United States. Things like depression, bipolar, ADD, ADHD, anxiety, schizophrenia, and autism. Gluten is blamed for this.

The wheat that we consume today is not the same as the wheat at the turn of the century. It is over processed. It has been manipulated by scientists to grow faster and stronger to stand up to weather. Perhaps that is why there are so many people getting sick from it. Although gluten is not just wheat. It is actually a protein in wheat, rye and barley. Oh but no. It does not end there. It is not just that simple. Soy is the biggest cross contaminate because it is processed in the same plant as wheat. Same goes for nuts. Many many things are all processed in the same plants so there is a risk of cross contamination from other products. Also, it has been found that many people who are gluten sensitive (its not an allergy) are also sensitive to dairy. Yes. It just keeps getting better doesn't it. hahaha!

Take notice of how you feel after eating those flour tacos, cookies, cake, donuts, brownies, breaded meats, french fries, shakes... Yes I said french fries and shakes. Wheat is very often used as a filler in things like milk shakes at fast food restaurants. Frozen meats (like those yummy meat balls) have a wheat filler. Those french fries we love to get a quick snack. Yes, well they are fried in the same fryer as the breaded and battered meats. What is in the breading? hmmm yeah wheat. Look at your snacks. That yummy red licorice. Yes that too.

If your getting any random and sudden symptoms such as: headaches, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, bloating, after eating gluten. You could have a gluten sensitivity. A good way of finding out is to remove all grains from your diet. If you feel better. BINGO! You get to change your diet and feel better. :)

I live a gluten free life. By that I mean I check the ingredients in everything that goes in or on my body. Shampoo, lotion, hair color, conditioner, all food products, make up... I do occassionally cheat slightly. But I pay the price for it. So right now I'm trying to fly straight.

UDI is a great gluten free company. The food can be ordered online. It is great. The breads and cookie and cake mixes are excellent. Often gluten free sweets are grainy and dry. Thats how they started out anyway. UDI makes it so that I can eat some of my favorites again. And so has Betty Crocker!! BEST brownie mix ever!!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.
Bright Blessings,WiccanMoon )O(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...